So you only have a few small felt scraps left and you'd like to sew something easy and quick? Then you are ready for a DIY Color-Me-Bright Pencil Case! Make a simple patchwork and use it to make a colorful back-to-school felt pencil case. So much fun! Here's an easy sewing tutorial for beginner sewing enthusiasts.
I loved every minute of making it and I think you will too. It will surely add a touch of sunshine to the new school year!
This DIY felt pencil case is one of the few pieces that allows you to complete the project even after you've searched through the stash and realized that you've run out of nearly all felt. Also a great scrap buster! It's easy to make and it looks cute - with just like half-an-hour of your time and a few small pieces of felt. Let's have a closer look and see how to start.
- a few small pieces of leftover felt from previous projects (or get it at Create For Less)
- sewing machine or a needle
- a button
- sewing thread
Felt Pencil Pouch Tutorial
MAKE A FELT STRIPE
1) Sew several pieces of felt scraps together to form a long narrow rectangle, actually a stripe. Your choice of colors and forms - creativity at its best!
If you want the pencil case to match any non-standard size of pencils, measure the piece against the pencils before you cut the length. Adjusting the size will in no way affect the making process I'm about to show you below, so don't shy away from tailoring the dimensions to your needs!
5)Then turn the felt patchwork right-sides-together and sew together the two sides of the pencil case. Straight stitch, easy peasy!
Now, BUTTON HOLE! - we'll go the easy way ;) Here's the reason why you had to topstitch twice when hemming the flap of the pouch:
7) To keep the button hole from stretching, all you need to do is secure both ends of the button hole: Use short straight stitches on a sewing machine or simply make a few handstitches. (The latter will usually take even less of your time than machine stitching.)
8) One last thing to do: Stitch a button onto the case to close the flap. Since this is the last thing you do, it will be totally easy to test where the best place for the button is. No measuring, just close the pencil case flap and see where you need it. Bamm! You've nailed it!
You've just made your own, unique back-to-school felt pencil case. Easy, quick and fun, in these cheerful colors! Now it's yours to decide whether to keep it to yourself or to give it as present. But you can always keep this one and make a few new ones to give away ;)
The best thing is, this project is not limited to pencils. You can sew a case like this one to hold any other item, like a calculator, or a notebook (you know, those tiny cute notebooks - kids love to get one as a back-to-school present). It would also make a great sunglasses case!
Want More Free Sewing Patterns and Tutorials?
Feel free to sign up for emails or - even better - check out some of my FREE PDF patterns on Craftsy. They are all linked to my free tutorials on the blog, so it will be super easy for you to use them to sew something cute for yourself:
MORE POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE: