Use this free makeup bag pattern and make a beautiful cosmetic bag. This is a beginner sewing project with a free template you can use to make a bag with 4 small internal slip pockets and a decently sized main compartment – an easy and simple design you can make fit any style. Use the free template in the post, and my other tutorial on making a zipper tab, to make sewing even easier!
This post includes affiliate links. Thanks for your support. If you like making pouches and bags, you’ll love these free projects, too:
- Zipper Pouch With Centered Zipper
- My Best Drawstring Bag – FREE Pattern!
- The QUICKEST Diy Pencil Case
Makeup Bag Pattern
Finally, I’ve had time to make me a decently sized cosmetic bag. I love my old makeup bag, but since we have children, the space for makeup in my cosmetic bag keeps shrinking, to accommodate more and more children toiletries. Someone make a stop to it and make mama a decent cosmetic bag for grownups – one she won’t need to share!
So I made one, and created this free makeup bag pattern. Actually, it was a Friday afternoon and I had solid plans to clean the house… when I ran into this lovely piece of green faux leather! The rest of the story is obvious, isn’t it? 🙂
The bag opens wide so you’ll always be able to clearly see what’s in it. Very important for a mom with not too much time to search for her favorite eye-shade or mascara!
- faux leather for outer, base.
- upper part: microfiber upholstery fabric (face side feels and looks like soft suede)
- lining: quilting cotton
- matching thread
- special sewing needle
- the usual: sewing machine, scissors, rotary cutter or tailor scissors, cutting mat
This lined cosmetic bag is easy to make, so I thought you’d like to try one too: here’s your chance to tailor one totally to your likes – grab your favorite fabrics and make one! You can choose the size, the color, anything!
But just in case you don’t want to second-guess your dimension choices, I’m also giving you a free template to use, with all the dimensions you need. Scroll further down to get it.)
Here’s Your Makeup Bag Template
Cosmetic Bag TUTORIAL:
- 1 piece: 1A (Bag Outer) – faux leather
- 2 pieces 1B (Bag Outer) – microfibre
- 2 pieces No 2 (Lining) – quilting cotton
– One green pin marks the spot where the zipper tape makes a curve, approximately an inch before the end of the fabric.
– (The other green pin simply keeps the rest of the zipper out of the way)
Want Your makeup Bag to Double as A Date-Night Clutch?
Now, with or without an additional tab, let’s go on with the tutorial:
16) So… your bag layers are right-sides together. Now you need to sew around the entire bag together. Start on one side of the outer shell and stop at the lining bottom, leaving a few inches open for turning. Same on the other side.
Make a nice TAB on the exposed zipper end. I specifically wanted to make a narrower one this time, for a change. Usually, I make square ones. totally your choice.
I do understand many of you are used to making nice zipper tabs, but those who aren’t, might want a little help. It’s here, no worries!
21) Feel free to follow this easy zipper-tabs tutorial to make your zipper tab: