Use this free makeup bag pattern and make a beautiful cosmetic bag. This is a beginner sewing project with a free template you can use to make a bag with 4 small internal slip pockets and a decently sized main compartment – an easy and simple design you can make fit any style. Use the free template in the post, and my other tutorial on making a zipper tab, to make sewing even easier!
This post includes affiliate links. Thanks for your support. If you like making pouches and bags, you’ll love these free projects, too:
- Zipper Pouch With Centered Zipper
- My Best Drawstring Bag – FREE Pattern!
- The QUICKEST Diy Pencil Case
Makeup Bag Pattern
Finally, I’ve had time to make me a decently sized cosmetic bag. I love my old makeup bag, but since we have children, the space for makeup in my cosmetic bag keeps shrinking, to accommodate more and more children toiletries. Someone make a stop to it and make mama a decent cosmetic bag for grownups – one she won’t need to share!
So I made one, and created this free makeup bag pattern. Actually, it was a Friday afternoon and I had solid plans to clean the house… when I ran into this lovely piece of green faux leather! The rest of the story is obvious, isn’t it? 🙂
The bag opens wide so you’ll always be able to clearly see what’s in it. Very important for a mom with not too much time to search for her favorite eye-shade or mascara!
This free makeup bag pattern and tutorial will make a wonderful quick sewing project. It’s easy and quick to make, and just think of all the color combinations you can choose!
- faux leather for outer, base.
- upper part: microfiber upholstery fabric (face side feels and looks like soft suede)
- lining: quilting cotton
- matching thread
- special sewing needle
- the usual: sewing machine, scissors, rotary cutter or tailor scissors, cutting mat
This lined cosmetic bag is easy to make, so I thought you’d like to try one too: here’s your chance to tailor one totally to your likes – grab your favorite fabrics and make one! You can choose the size, the color, anything!
But just in case you don’t want to second-guess your dimension choices, I’m also giving you a free template to use, with all the dimensions you need. Scroll further down to get it.)
Here’s Your Makeup Bag Template
Cosmetic Bag TUTORIAL:
- 1 piece: 1A (Bag Outer) – faux leather
- 2 pieces 1B (Bag Outer) – microfibre
- 2 pieces No 2 (Lining) – quilting cotton
– One green pin marks the spot where the zipper tape makes a curve, approximately an inch before the end of the fabric.
– (The other green pin simply keeps the rest of the zipper out of the way)
Want Your makeup Bag to Double as A Date-Night Clutch?
Now, with or without an additional tab, let’s go on with the tutorial:
16) So… your bag layers are right-sides together. Now you need to sew around the entire bag together. Start on one side of the outer shell and stop at the lining bottom, leaving a few inches open for turning. Same on the other side.
Make a nice TAB on the exposed zipper end. I specifically wanted to make a narrower one this time, for a change. Usually, I make square ones. totally your choice.
I do understand many of you are used to making nice zipper tabs, but those who aren’t, might want a little help. It’s here, no worries!
21) Feel free to follow this easy zipper-tabs tutorial to make your zipper tab:
Want More Free Patterns+Tutorials?
Get email updates and never miss out on new patterns, printables and tutorials. If you sign up at THIS link, you’ll also get the Fabric Hanging Basket Template for FREE, right now. A cute and easy-sew!