Diy pirate costume with a free pattern - It's an easy pirate costume sewing project, quick and perfect as a diy Halloween costume for kids, a pirate-themed birthday party, or pretend play. Scroll down and get this pirate vest pattern for free.
If you are looking for ideas for Halloween costumes (especially last-minute DIYS), check out these too:
Diy Pirate Costume
When I posted a guide to make a quick and easy pirate costume for your kid, I hadn't thought it would get so popular. Many of you wanted to see how I made the vest, so I took some time off my regular posting schedule to publish a pirate vest pattern, so here it is!
This diy pirate vest so incredibly easy to make, and with felt you don't even need to hem anything! If you use the free template (available to everybody who subscribes to the weekly AppleGreen Cottage newsletter), you don't need any sewing skills beyond beginner level, that is knowing how to sew 4 straight stitch lines. Or just close to straight-ish. Will do just perfectly, too!
I made the vest wide so it can be worn over a bulky pirate shirt, or over a warm sweater (for kids celebrating Halloween in colder climates!) or used for pretend play by older kids too.
It took long for me to publish this free pattern, sorry. After this popular how-to make a pirate costume from 4 years ago, it's like high time I put the vest into a digital form and design a pattern everybody can use.
What Size is This Diy Pirate Costume
This pattern will fit a 2 or 3-year old, but it's easy to make it bigger: add more length and width to the vest pieces.
- a 30" by 15" piece of black felt, 1.5 mm thickness
- pins or sewing clips
- needle or sewing machine
- the PDF Pattern file – that’s available to all my newsletter subscribers with an exclusive 100% OFF code for free. You get once you’ve confirmed your subscription (new subscribers: join here, existing subscribers: enter SHOP here and use 100%off coupon from my latest newsletter)
Where I buy my felt, it comes in 36"-width bolts. Check out yours.
How To Sew A Pirate Vest - Tutorial
1) Print the pirate vest template (available to my subscribers - scroll down). It prints on 4 pages (letter size, but you can print them on A4 too). Cut the pieces out and tape them together as instructed.
2) Using the free template, cut out one back piece and the two front pieces. They will look like this.
3) Unfold the back piece and place it on a flat surface right-side-up, and place the front pieces onto it, right sides down. (Long story short: the pieces will be right sides together.)
4) Stitch the shoulder parts. Pin or use sewing clips to hold in place, it's easier! Don't forget to secure stitches so they don't unravel.
5) Pin or use sewing clips on the side seam parts.
6) Stitch and secure stitches. If required, trim the seam allowance. Turn right side out.
7) Attach a KAM snap. It's easy, and faster than sewing on a button (though you can opt for any other type of closure, off course.)
If you'd like to see how to attach a KAM snap, here's an easy and quick tutorial. You might never want to go back to sewing buttons, or watch the steps in the slideshow:
10) Done! You've made a great pirate vest!
For a few practical ideas on a complete diy pirate outfit, and especially what everyday items you can use for dressing up as pirate, check out this Pirate Costume post here at AppleGreen Cottage:
--> Pirate Costume post here at AppleGreen Cottage
Now all you need is draw a treasure map on a piece of paper, hide a few goodies around the house, and the pirate treasure hunt can start!
HOW DO I GET THE PATTERN FOR FREE?
This is the template for the kids pirate vest in size 2-3 years to help you along the way.
Thesewing pattern is available in my shop - but WAIT! Get It FOR FREE with the 100% OFF exclusive code for all subscribers to AppleGreen Cottage newsletter - you get the 100% discount code when you sign up at this link:
CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS: Your 100% DISCOUNT CODE is in my latest newsletter – visit the SHOP (here - scroll down to pirate costume pattern) and apply it in ‘View Cart’ before checkout.
For anyone who'd prefer not to subscribe for the free newsletter, you can still purchase the pirate vest pattern at this link in my shop.
Make sure you save this how-to so you have it at hand for a last-minute pirate costume:
WANT MORE FREE TUTORIALS AND GOODIES?
Get email updates and never miss out on new patterns, printables and tutorials. If you sign up at THIS link, you’ll also get the Fabric Hanging Basket Template for FREE, right now. A cute and easy-sew!
Or ...go straight to one of my currently most popular PDF patterns - the gift bag pattern. It doubles as an adorable Trick-Or-Treat bag - 6 sizes and designs for all your wishes!