See how to make a lantern using this easy tutorial. You won’t believe how easy these diy lanterns are to sew – even if you’ve never sewn before!
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support. If you like fun and easy projects, check out these free tutorials, too:
Now, back to my today’s project: Today I’m sharing a little project for using up felt scraps that will make some pretty decorative diy lanterns for hanging up around the home – also perfect as diy birthday party decor! And you don’t need a sewing machine at all, a needle and thread will do just fine.
How To Make A Lantern
Also, these felt decorations are brilliant kid-made home decor they can keep in their rooms long after their birthday party is over.
First, for those of you who like video tutorials, I’ve made a quick slideshow, just to make it easier for you. Check it out:
- 5″ x 1/2″ strip of felt – for the handle
- 6″ x 4″ (1 piece) – for the lantern body
- 6″ x 1/2″ (2 pieces) in contrasting colors, as embelishment
- matching thread,
- sewing needle or sewing machine
- embroidery floss
- measuring tape
- option: pompom trim (6 inch per lantern)
Diy Lantern – Tutorial
1) Fold the main piece in half lengthwise.
2) Cut on the folded side. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
5) After the two stripes are done, now’s the time to either fingerpress the fold lengthwise, or use iron with a cloth and a low heat to set the crease on the lantern.
6) Fold the sheet into a cylinder and make a few stitches to join the two ends. We only stitched at the bottom and at the top of the lantern, it’s enough.
7) Attach the handle.
8) Hang and enjoy!
You can take a string and hang them up in a kid’s room. A wonderful decoration! These diy lanterns will look really cute when you hang them in the backyard for a birthday party.
The sewing skills required are the very basic ones. An excellent project to start with kids who have not sewn yet, and you can use it to introduce the basic embroidery stitches.
Save for later:
Want More Tutorials and Crafty Stuff?
|Get Pattern HERE.|