Make the cutest hat for kids using a free bucket hat pattern. This tutorial shows how to make a bucket hat. Check out my simplified step-by-step instructions for beginners and make one too!
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support.You’ll find tons of easy projects here, including
- How To Make a Scrunchie
- Perfect Reversible Bunting Banner
- Diy Party Lanterns .. and more than 100 other tutorials.
How To Make A Bucket Hat – Tutorial
Remember the buckethat pattern I used to make this hat for my kid some time ago? My kid loves it and so do I, in fact it’s my FAVORITE piece I’ve sewn so far for kids! And judging from your responses, many of you like it too, a good reason to help you make it yourself! Do you want to make one yourself? Read on, below is an easy bucket hat TUTORIAL waiting for you:)
Why I love this sun hat (and why you might too):
- It fits perfectly. (Some hats don’t.)
- It doesn’t keep falling off. (Some hats do.)
- The brim is just the perfect size for keeping the little face from direct sun. (Some hat brims aren’t.)
- So totally cute, cute, cute! (Especially if you get to choose your fav fabrics!)
- The pattern is FREE!
2) A SEWING TRICK TO MAKE IT EASIER
To me, it simply looks like the best bucket hat pattern I’ve ever bumped into! However, I need to admit that the project might not be very easy to sew for beginners (which I see as the only downside of the otherwise brilliant and clear instructions provided).
Well, but then again, why not make things easier, right? 😉 You might want to try out what I call the ‘inside-out technique‘ after I learned it from a wonderful book, but that’s another story. I’ll just show you how I used it as a kind of shortcut to make the project even easier. And if you like it, you can make it this way (the result will be the same as if you followed the original instructions).
3) FREE PATTERN
EDITED AUGUST 5 2019: THE DESIGNER (NOT ME) HAS STARTED CHARGING FOR THIS PATTERN AND IT IS UNFORTUNATELY NO LONGER FREE. I respect the designer’s decision and am sure they had good reasons to do so. Regardless, I’m keeping my below tutorial free and when I find some time, I might design my own free pattern for you. The pattern I was referring to is one by Oliver+S that is no longer a free pattern. There are a few alternatives and I’m linking to a few other free bucket hat patterns for you:
- free bucket hat pattern No1 (link)
- free bucket hat pattern for toddlers 2-3 years (link)
- free bucket hat pattern in 11 sizes – new, just found out about it: link
- free reversible bucket hat from Mister Domestic (2 sizes)
- LESUNNY bucket hat, a free pattern in German language.
3) My SIMPLIFIED Bucket Hat TUTORIAL (updated):
1) Grab the cutest two pieces of matching fabrics you’ve got in your stash. Or get some adorable ones. I love these gorgeously cute cotton prints I have found at peek-a-boo shop.
2) I used the free Oliver+S bucket hat pattern (see above) to cut out the parts:
And if you are looking for some adorable new fabric, you can check out these cute fabrics by peek-a-boo. (They’ve also got gorgeous animal prints!) Now you can start making your kids’ stylish DIY hat collection!
NO TIME FOR SEWING? NO PROBLEM!
Sometimes life gets in between and there’s simply no time to make something (let alone a hat!), no matter how much you’d like to sew. Happens to me sometimes too 🙂 In these cases, Etsy is a good place that can come to rescue: not made by your hands, but still handmade and unique.
There’s a whole collection of handmade hats on Etsy if you’d like to check them out – here.
Save For Later
Make sure to save this tutorial for later when you have time to sew a cute little bucket hat:
Want More Free Patterns+Tutorials?
|Get the Earflap Beanie Pattern HERE.|