Use this felt storage box tutorial with a free felt box pattern to make a super easy storage cube for your desk or kitchen counter.
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support! If you like easy bin and basket projects, check out these too:
- felt box pattern
- Easter bunny baskets
- my best drawstring pouches (all free!)
- KAIA bin pattern, or
- LEA bin pattern in Applegreen Cottage shop
It was years ago when I presented this super easy felt storage box tutorial on Seams And Scissors, and now it's time you get the free sewing pattern too. It's a super easy, clever and simple DIY idea for you to try out this spring. Search through your felt stash for a square piece of thick felt, but first scroll down for the free template!
felt storage box tutorial
Now about this felt storage box tutorial and the free felt box pattern: it's a quick DIY, no hemming, no measuring, basically it's a super quick beginner sewing project. For when you need a quick present but are running out of time. Or for when you don't feel like working with a seam allowance. Or pressing or making boxed corners. You'll see what I mean. This:
It also makes a great present. What better than that!
Supplies to make the felt storage Cube
- 12" x 12" (31cm x 31 cm) of thick felt. It needs to be at least 2 millimeter thick to give the box enough stability.
- matching thread
- sewing machine, scissors,
- optional: embroidery floss, thin felt for decoration
- your free felt template (scroll down towards the end of this post for the link)
Felt Storage Cube Tutorial
Thsi is a quick how-to to help you sew the storage box quickly.
1) Place a piece of thick felt on a flat surface and trace it using the free template. Cut out the felt:
2) Fold it in half, diagonally.
3) Pin together the two opposing sides of the felt box, like this:
4) Stitch along the pinned lines.
5) Do the same with the other two opposing sides of the cube - pin and stitch:
6)Here's your felt storage cube:
7) If you want to hide the thread ends, check out this easy sewing tip. My readers love it!
Best Sewing Tips: How To End Stitching Neatly
8) The rest is decoration. You can leave the storage cube blank, or decorate it using felt flowers, or embroidery floss.
I love felt flowers! Easy and quick. You can make a few within minutes, following one of my tutorials at AppleGreen Cottage.
These diy felt boxes have tons of uses: a felt box like this one makes great key storage if you keep it in the hall, somewhere close to the front door. It also protects the surface of the hallway table - no more scratches from tossing your keys!
Perfect to hold your craft supplies. Fill one with satin ribbons. And tiny colorful buttons. And put them on display. Adorable! Felt boxes like this one are an inexpensive way to get your shelves, desk or kitchen counter organized and beautiful.
Save For Later:
Free FELT FLOWER TUTORIALS:
If you'd like to make the felt flowers, I've got these two free tutorials for you - with FREE TEMPLATES, too!
WANT MORE FREE TUTORIALS AND PATTERNS?
Get email updates and never miss out on new patterns, printables and tutorials. If you sign up at THIS link, you’ll also get the Fabric Hanging Basket Template for FREE, right now. A cute and easy-sew!
And if you like sewing cute little bins, check out another pattern in my shop - the Kaia Mini Bin here: