This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support.
Santa Hat Ornament – Tutorial
First, check out this quick slideshow to get an overview of the project:
Next come the supplies and you can also scroll down for a photo tutorial with step-by-step instructions. I’ve got you covered!.
- red and white felt
- alternative: you can use quilting-cotton weight fabric instead, but you’ll have to fuse some fusible fleece to it for stability
- a small pompom
- 7″ – 10″ embroidery thread or twine for hanging
- matching thread, sewing machine, scissors, needle, (iron)
- Free template – download and print pages 6 and 7 from my new Homemade Christmas Patterns Bundle – it’s FREE for all and contains more than 10 free Christmas sewing patterns. All made for you! Here:
Santa Hat Ornament – Step 1
Santa Hat Ornament – Step 2
Then cut one out of each 3 pattern pieces from felt – all in the same size: small, medium or large. Also, get some twine or embroidery thread ready and a small white pompom.
Santa Hat Ornament – Step 3
Place the white felt strip on the red main piece and align. Then stitch at one (inner) rounded edge only if you have both pieces cut from felt – it’s enough. If you’ve opted for alternative (fabric), see the next step too.
Santa Hat Ornament – Alternative (if using FABRIC)
Fuse some interfacing (I chose fusible fleece) to the red fabric piece for stability. Then align the white piece on the red piece and stitch along BOTH long curvy edges. I used zigzag as it makes it easier to catch the layers.
Santa Hat Ornament – Step 4
Now fold right sides together in half and stitch along the straight edge.
Santa Hat Ornament – Step 5
Turn right side out and use thin twine or embroidery thread to stitch a small pompom to the top – and make a loop for hanging.
Santa Hat Ornament – Step 7
Get ready for holiday home decorating! Need to make them larger? No problem, the free templates come in 3 sizes!
If you’re looking for more holiday patterns, these are super popular right now:
- Super Cute Mini Mitten Ornament – free
- 15+ Cutest Diy Christmas Gifts For Kids
- 25+ diy Christmas Gifts To Sew (With Patterns)
- Free Christmas Stocking Pattern
- Origami Ornament – Looks Complicated But It’s So Easy!!
Make sure to save the project so you can use all the free templates when you need them: