Pirate eye patch template and skull applique - two free PDF templates and a tutorial for you that will help you make a quick and easy pirate costume. Combined with this free pirate vest pattern I shared a few weeks ago, these little diy pirate accessories just rock! Get the template now.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for your support.
A pirate costume is never complete without a pirate eyepatch and a few skulls! This is why I made a template for you to use on your free pirate vest pattern from last time. If you missed it, it's here:
Have you managed to sew the vest yet? If not, let me just say it's SUPER quick!
It was my absolutely LAST-MINUTE sew, from a few years ago when my (then) toddler asked for a pirate costume when our/his friends were about to visit. I had exactly half an hour to come up with an idea AND stitch the vest, the pirate hat, draft, cut and sew two skull appliques - and tie a piece of elastic around a round (-ish) piece of black eye patch. Talk about last minute!
The entire adventure was documented on this blog (ouch what old pictures!) but it was not until this year when I managed to turn all the templates into a digital form. Finally!
Supplies For the pirate eye patch template:
- white and black craft foam (I buy it in sets, it costs less!)
- awl or a similar item
- a piece of elastic for the pirate eye patch
- white thread and needle/sewing machine for the skull applique
- the PDF template – INCLUDED in the PIRATE VEST PATTERN that’s available to all my newsletter subscribers with an exclusive 100% OFF code for free. You get once you’ve confirmed your subscription (new subscribers: join here, existing subscribers: enter SHOP here, scroll down to PIRATE VEST pattern and use 100%off coupon from my latest newsletter)
How To Make A Pirate Eye Patch - Tutorial
1) Print and cut out the template (see below).
2) Using your (non-fabric!) scissors, cut the eye-patch from the black craft foam.
3) Using an awl (or something similar), poke two holes at the marked spots on the template. I usually just place the template over the craft foam and poke through the two layers.
4) Cut a piece of elastic long enough to fit around the head (add a little extra) and thread them through the two holes. Then tie the knots. Done!
And now, the skull applique.
How To Make A Craft Foam Skull Applique
1)Using the template, cut the skull from the white craft foam.
2) Model it against your diy pirate vest and decide on the best place to attach it. Then tack it using a needle and white thread, but you can even use a teflon foot to stitch it on the vest. (Or, if you don't have a teflon foot, tape a piece of washi tape onto the bottom side of the sewing machine foot to help it slide over the craft foam. It works!)
Anyone can be transformed into a pirate with this simple eye patch and the diy skull applique. Have fun!
HOW DO I GET THE Templates FOR FREE?
The eyepatch +skull template is bundled together with the template for the kids pirate vest in size 2-3 years.
The eyepatch+skull templates + pirate vest sewing pattern is available in my shop - but WAIT! Get It FOR FREE with the 100% OFF exclusive code for all subscribers to AppleGreen Cottage newsletter - you get the 100% discount code when you sign up at this link:
CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS: Your 100% DISCOUNT CODE is in my latest newsletter – visit the SHOP (here), select the PIRATE Vest PDF and apply code in ‘View Cart’ before checkout.
For anyone who'd prefer not to subscribe for the free newsletter, you can still purchase the pirate vest pattern+eyepatch+skull template at this link in my shop.
Make sure you save the template and this post for later to keep it at hand:
WANT MORE FREE TUTORIALS AND GOODIES?
Get email updates and never miss out on new patterns, printables and tutorials. If you sign up at THIS link, you’ll also get the Fabric Hanging Basket Template for FREE, right now. A cute and easy-sew!
Or ...go straight to one of my currently most popular PDF patterns - the gift bag pattern. It doubles as an adorable Trick-Or-Treat bag - 6 sizes and designs for all your wishes!