You'll need to buy a backpack for your kid sooner or later, right? I don't know what how you feel about the popular spiderman, bob-the-builder- and similar disney-like stuff, but let me show you a nice and easy way to personalize an ordinary (=not pricey!) backpack: a frog applique.
This cost me only 4 eur for the backpack (can you believe it!) and half an hour of stitching.
- get a piece of cotton fabric (single color, it helps if it is thicker)
- draw a frog head on it - you can use my idea or draw your own design
- cut it out and put it on a piece of paper (to make sewing easier) - this will make it easier to sew around it as the paper does not stretch.
- start sewing (with paper placed under it) trace all lines using a very short zigzag stitch (satin stitch):
- length should be between 0.5 and zero, just long enough to move forward...
- width should be set to 4 or even 5, feel free to adjust it to your liking
There are tons of additional options: trace something from a coloring book, search the internet for simple drawing ideas, or use your imagination - it's best you use something with simple lines, not very demanding. At least if you have just a regular sewing machine like me.
Our toddler will enter kindergarten after the summer is over and this backpack will accompany him there.